|East of the Scruggs house is 1611 Woolen Mills Road. In 1920 it was the home of three Maddex women. Sally Wingfield Maddex purchased the house in 1904.
1920 found Sally freshly widowed. Her husband, Robert Henry Maddex had died the first day of spring the previous year, 1919.
Sally’s daughter Emma began work as a weaver in the mill; in 1920 Emma worked as a stenographer in the mill office.
In 1950, George Baltimore’s great-grand daughter Jean would visit the Maddex ladies at home. At that time, Lena was 82 and Emma 61. Emma played the piano for Jean and they plied their young guest with cookies.